Sugar, Spice, and Some Self Care Advice

Self care is incredibly hard to put into practice, but it is an essential key to a healthy life. More often than not, those of us who are chronically ill spend more time in the caregiver role because it provides us with a sense of purpose, a sense that many of us struggle to feel because of the changes chronic illness has brought into our lives. While it is nice to take care of others and be there for them, we cannot forget to be there for ourselves and nurture our own bodies. I tend to struggle with this greatly; as a matter of fact, I don't really practice self care at all (or as much as I should). That being said, self care isn't always bubble baths, lit candles, and expensive face masks. Sure, it can be that. But it is also taking your medication, slowing down when your body needs it, getting the right amount of sleep, eating healthy, etc...

For myself, I don't always have the energy to run a hot bath and lay there. Sometimes it can cause complications with my own illnesses, so I have to find other ways to introduce self care into my life. As of right now, I spend a lot of my time in bed either watching netflix, beading, or planning. My cat, Tibbers, usually joins me as well. I make sure I take all of my medication, eat 3 meals (or try to), and shower. That is as much self care as I get these days and I know that I do need to do more for myself.

"You carry so much love in your heart. Give some to yourself." -r.z.
Self care is also reminding yourself that you deserve love, kindness, and good things. Write these affirmations down somewhere, preferably where you'll see them frequently like on a mirror or in a notebook that you use. Even have them on your phone - you can find lots of wallpapers for phones on Pinterest! I almost always have a quote on my phone. Right now, it's a pink and white brushstroke background with the quote "you are strong". It doesn't have to be anything elaborate.

Don't fall into the abyss of Tumblr's self care aesthetic, thinking that it always has to be some lavish routine. If you feel like having a bubble bath and putting on an expensive face mask, GO FOR IT! I'd love to do that every day. But for those who can't or don't want that, don't be disheartened. Self care can be performed in so many different ways. I even consider going to appointments as self care.

I'll leave some links for posts and other articles about self care for you guys down below.

Thanks for reading.
Love, Light, and Spoons. ❤
Grace

Self Love Tips
Self Care Tips for the Chronically Ill
Beyond Bubble Baths
Bingeworthy Mental Health Podcasts


  1. Netflix - How to Get Away With Murder, Disenchantment, Gypsy, The Maniac, The Sinner, Forensic Files, The Office, Queer Eye, Perks of Being a Wallflower
  2. Books - Turtles All The Way Down (John Green), Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling), The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak), The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood), Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda (Becky Albertalli) 
  3. Podcasts - Lore, NoSleep, Up and Vanished, Pretty Basic, Mile Higher, Sick Day, In Sickness + In Health

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fighting Internal Ableism